Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Matthew 6: 25-34)
Are you a worrier? Do you toss and turn at night, unable to turn it all off? Do you entertain some kind of unconscious magical thinking that you need to worry to show that you really care about it? (Incorrect.)
If you struggle with these issues, settle these 5 truths in the mind where worry’s been having a hey-day.
- God’s into the details of every part of His creation. This scripture in Matthew is so rich! Imagine the God of the Universe, Creator of heaven and earth, attending to a little bird, being sure that she has food to eat. He’s taking care of the wild flowers. Why not you and me, members of the human race – His highest creation?
- Worry doesn’t change a thing. Test it out; I dare you. Sit on your sofa, wrinkle up your face, and worry hard! Repeat. Repeat. Did anything change? Didn’t think so.
- Get your priorities in order. Take your mind off all the bad that could occur and place your focus squarely on all the Lord’s promises. Seeking Him first means making Christ your Lord, but also placing what He says above the imaginations of your mind. No matter what it feels like, God’s Word is true!
- Take one day at a time. Try to deal with a lot more than that, and you’re anxious, overwhelmed, and paralyzed. Today has plenty of problems of its own. The 12-step folks have this one right: one day at a time! Just get up and do what’s in front of you today. And by the way, the busy-ness of that is distracting from the worries about what you fear might happen in the future.
- Choose to focus on faith – the positive view. Worries are actually negative faith! You picture them, dwell on them, start to believe in them, unconsciously align your words and actions with them – and so the worrying actually makes it more likely that they will come into reality. NO! Feast on the nourishment of God’s Word. Let faith arise within you. Dwell on His Word, believe His promises, speak His truth, and watch Him be faithful!
Don’t let worry rob you of today’s opportunities. Remember, rumination can be your ruination!
Lord, You care for every detail – even for the flowers and birds. Every hair of my head in numbered. So I know and trust that You know all that’s going on, and You are completely in control. I am not. You’re on it! I trust You!